But this year, when companies like Walmart and Target announced that they will open on Thanksgiving, my stomach turned. I poetically and actually was sickened by this news. So now more than ever, I urge you all to consider where you spend your money this holiday season! Obviously the Moretown Artisans Sale is a great place to get your holiday shopping done while supporting local businesses. But there are a lots of other events and local shops you can consider this holiday season. Here are my Holiday Shopping 1-2-3 lists to help you navigate this year. Thanks for supporting local businesses!!
Favorite Art Shows:
- The Women’s Festival of Crafts Nov 30/Dec 1, Burlington
- Waterbury Artisans Boutique Dec 7, Waterbury
- Moretown Artisans Sale, Dec 14/15, Moretown
Favorite Shops for Gifts:
- Onion River Sports – Montpelier – This is the best locally owned gear shop around. Their staff is knowledgeable and friendly, their stock is big and full of variety and their prices are competitive.
- The Store – Waitsfield – Got a foodie on your shopping list? This is the place to check out. Everything from cookware to cooking classes, you’ll find the perfect gift for the Kitchen-istas on your list
- Stowe Street Emporium – Waterbury – Cards, gifts, ornaments, you name it. The Stowe Street Emporium is full of great gifts, big and small for everyone you can think of!
Favorite Grocery Stores:
- Sunflower Natural Foods – They have an entire floor dedicated to bulk products and they carry Heady Topper. Win/Win!
- Mehuron’s Market – With a great selection produce, local foods and groceries, you can round out your visit with a stop in the liquor store in the back! One stop shopping!
- Uncommon Market – Montpelier – Avoid the lines and still get your groceries (and your wine!)
Favorite Places to Drink & Dine:
- Three Penny Taproom – Montpelier – Pair a beer from their always impressive beer selection with anything on their menu, but in particular, the burgers or the wings. Their soup is nuts too.
- Prohibition Pig – Waterbury – My absolute favorite place for a cocktail. Or two. But if you have more, be sure to eat something from their delectible menu to stay balanced!
- The Mad Taco – Waitsfield – Killer Tacos. Killer Beer. Need I say more?