Every year about this time, I start encouraging everyone to shop locally, for all sorts of very good reasons, not the least of which are so simply spelled out by this sign.
But this year, when companies like Walmart and Target announced that they will open on Thanksgiving, my stomach turned. I poetically and actually was sickened by this news. So now more than ever, I urge you all to consider where you spend your money this holiday season! Obviously the Moretown Artisans Sale is a great place to get your holiday shopping done while supporting local businesses. But there are a lots of other events and local shops you can consider this holiday season. Here are my Holiday Shopping 1-2-3 lists to help you navigate this year. Thanks for supporting local businesses!!
Favorite Art Shows:
- The Women’s Festival of Crafts Nov 30/Dec 1, Burlington
- Waterbury Artisans Boutique Dec 7, Waterbury
- Moretown Artisans Sale, Dec 14/15, Moretown
Favorite Shops for Gifts:
- Onion River Sports – Montpelier – This is the best locally owned gear shop around. Their staff is knowledgeable and friendly, their stock is big and full of variety and their prices are competitive.
- The Store – Waitsfield – Got a foodie on your shopping list? This is the place to check out. Everything from cookware to cooking classes, you’ll find the perfect gift for the Kitchen-istas on your list
- Stowe Street Emporium – Waterbury – Cards, gifts, ornaments, you name it. The Stowe Street Emporium is full of great gifts, big and small for everyone you can think of!
Favorite Grocery Stores:
- Sunflower Natural Foods – They have an entire floor dedicated to bulk products and they carry Heady Topper. Win/Win!
- Mehuron’s Market – With a great selection produce, local foods and groceries, you can round out your visit with a stop in the liquor store in the back! One stop shopping!
- Uncommon Market – Montpelier – Avoid the lines and still get your groceries (and your wine!)
Favorite Places to Drink & Dine:
- Three Penny Taproom – Montpelier – Pair a beer from their always impressive beer selection with anything on their menu, but in particular, the burgers or the wings. Their soup is nuts too.
- Prohibition Pig – Waterbury – My absolute favorite place for a cocktail. Or two. But if you have more, be sure to eat something from their delectible menu to stay balanced!
- The Mad Taco – Waitsfield – Killer Tacos. Killer Beer. Need I say more?